In recent times the debate has been raised again:
“Are our rights from God our Creator? or from man?
HOW this most basic of ALL questions concerning ALL of Life is answered determines whether we even have rights and liberties in reality, OR are they merely man granted privileges and allowances. Let us look more closely.
First, we will consider our rights and liberties are NOT God originated.
“Our Rights Originate With And From Man/Men”
This view holds that either:
- There is NO God, Atheistic. Our rights and liberties come from man. Are defined, granted, and defended by man.
- There is/may be a God, BUT He left up the understanding of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness/private property, and all other defining of governance to mankind to decide on his own. Humanistic.
Consider though that even THE BEST AND MOST MORAL OF MEN (or man), IF he/they were the author and originator, the following outcomes:
- These man-made “rights and liberties” would only be as secure as that man/group of men would say and MAKE them be. Hence not really “unalienable rights” then.
- Upon the retirement, resigning, and/or death of this man/group of men the aforementioned “rights and liberties” are then in the hands, and at the whim of whoever may follow, and they may be outright authoritarian, corrupt, scoundrels.
That is THE BEST CASE SCENARIO…now let’s consider the view that outright tyrants, thugs, and criminals ARE THE AUTHOR AND ORIGIN OF OUR “rights and liberties”:
- What is “the best” a society can reasonably expect when the WORST is THE source of governance, especially when that governance IS THE SOLE DEFINER, DETERMINER, AND DEFENDER of your and my rights and liberties? Can we rationally expect GOOD results from a BAD person/group?
- IF, perchance, that the “rights and liberties” that were authored by such corrupt tyrants at the first were “good”…could there be any real trust in such a corrupt, vile, authoritarian?
Have ALL of ALL Mankind’s rights and liberties always originated from, with, and in man/a group of men?
Has EVERY right and liberty throughout ALL of History that we ever have truly been authored by man/a group of men?
If so, then these are NOT truly rights and liberties, BUT RATHER man originated, defined, determined, and defended (if THEY want to) privileges and allowances. AKA, these are ONLY what some man has said at THIS TIME he/she/they will allow…and it can ALL be withdrawn at THEIR WHIM AND FANCY.
That is one way to view rights and liberties.
I do NOT subscribe to that view.
“Our Rights And Liberties ARE Indeed Authored By And Originate With Our Creator God.”
THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, …
…And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor….
What America’s Founders said:
The general principles in which the fathers achieved independence, were the only principles on which that beautiful assembly of young men could unite, and these principles only could be intended by them in their address, or by me in my answer. And what were these general principles? I answer, the general principles of Christianity, in which all those sects were united, and the general principles of English and American liberty…[xv]
-John Adams and Thomas Jefferson.
At each of the above three source links can be found a plethora of direct quotes from America’s Founding Fathers and they’re mutual, shared view that ALL our unalienable RIGHTS/LIBERTIES come directly and solely from God.
What then are the logical extrapolations to be derived here? Thusly:
- Since ALL our rights inherently and intrinsically, and above all, solely come from God our Creator, THEN NO MAN, NOR GROUP OF MEN, INCLUDING ONE’S OWN GOVERNMENT has the ANY right or authority to take them away, they ARE inalienable rights.
- Among these God-Given, Constitutionally-Codified Rights and Liberties is The Right of Self-defense, The Right to Bear Arms. This was understood by Our Founding Fathers, and by reason, to mean that a free, law-abiding citizenry could be, and indeed, SHOULD BE armed enough to protect from ANY threat of crime or tyranny, domestic or otherwise. For ANY government to be more and better armed than the people they serve/govern IS DANGEROUS AND ALWAYS TENDS TOWARD TYRANNY AND SLAVERY.
- This is NOT, not even by America’s Founders, and argument to allow the arming of criminals or the insane. BUT we need to be highly vigilant that we do NOT let any government, or man/group be the SOLE arbiter of our God-given, Constitutionally-Codified Rights and Liberties.
ANY view that says, or even hints at the idea that our rights and liberties is ANY less than God-given is to be rejected as the authoritarian, tyrannical, and Godless view it is: it is WRONG.
-Rev. Larry Wallenmeyer.